US Foods INTERN - Finance – Finance & Accounting in Rosemont, Illinois
With direct supervision and oversight this position provides exposure and opportunity to investigate a career and gain business knowledge and practical application of a specific function within the food distribution industry.
About the US Foods Summer Intern Program
The US Foods Summer Internship Program provides a forum for students to apply classroom skills and academic training in a real world business environment. In addition to being assigned business-impacting projects throughout the summer, students will be matched with a manager who will meet with them on a regular basis to provide direction on assignments as well as deliver performance feedback and a mentor who will be available to offer day-to-day guidance and support.
Embracing the organization’s core values, the US Foods Summer Internship Program Mission is to TEAM UP to build a supportive learning environment where we TALK STRAIGHT about performance development by delivering constructive feedback and positive reinforcement to deliver SECOND TO NONE program experiences to those students who spend their summers with us.
Interns will also get exposure to US Foods executive leadership; have an opportunity to participate in learning and social events with other interns across business functions within our Corporate HQ; and have an opportunity to deliver an end-of-summer presentation to showcase their accomplishments with key business leaders.
US Foods internships are full-time paid positions(40 hours per week from May - August) with the possibility of transitioning to a full-time position within the Finance Leadership Development rotational program post-graduation dependent on availability and overall performance. The Internship will consist of three to four rotations throughout the summer to provide a unique opportunity to see all sides of the Finance organization at US Foods. The rotations will be scheduled around key projects and business need.
US Foods Finance & Accounting interns have the opportunity to rotate into key finance and accounting functions within a Fortune 150 Company to gain hands-on experience working on key projects across disciplines. Our interns will have an opportunity to apply key concepts learned in the classroom in real world business settings to further develop their knowledge, skills and acumen.
Controller’s Group (Accounting)
- Assigned key projects to gain an understanding of the Controller Group function and the US Foods business
- Assists in preparation of the financial statements through the controller group period end close process
- Assists in weekly analysis of working capital balance sheet accounts
- Cross collaborates with corporate FPA, field finance, merchandising and logistics to support business initiatives
- Focuses on learning and leadership development through project assignment
- Understands and adheres to Controller Group methodology, policies and procedures
- Conducts core internal audits including financial, SOX 404 compliance, corporate compliance, information technology, investigations and operational audits.
- Assists with business risk assessments.
- Assists in management requested initiatives and provides direct input that contributes to the successful completion of the project.
- Works closely with audit team, keeps team informed of progress, issues that arise, and asks questions.
- Focused on learning and leadership development.
- Understands and adheres to internal audit methodology and policies and procedures.
Financial Planning and Analysis (Finance)
- Conducts analyses on margin, expenses, capital spending and working capital
- Identifies favorable and unfavorable spending trends
- Performs weekly, monthly, quarterly, and ad hoc reporting
- Assists in monthly operational reviews versus plan and forecast
- Assists with quarterly earnings call process; including creation of press release and slide deck
- Tracks shareholder activity, investor base changes and analyst reports on US Foods
- Helps with daily bank transfers, account inquires and banker questions
- Assists with debt reporting, treasury requests and cash transactions
Please note: we are not able to provide internships to students that require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B visa status).
Local candidates are encouraged to apply. For qualified students whose permanent home of record is located outside 50 miles from US Foods Corporate HQ, a stipend will be offered to partially offset housing costs for the summer.
# EOE Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Protected Veteran/Disability Status
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Accounting and/or Finance.
- Must be enrolled in school during time of internship
- Typically, students currently between their Junior and Senior years or between their 1st and 2nd years of graduate school will be considered for internships
- Must have regular, reliable method of transportation to commute to US Foods’ location
- Active involvement in Finance or Accounting club, student group, or business fraternity/sorority.
- Excellent organizational & multi-tasking skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Work well as a team.
- Leadership mindset.
- Active involvement a Finance or Accounting club, student group, or business fraternity/sorority.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Job requires worker to:Sit 0%Stand 0% Walk 0%Drive 0%Job requires worker to lift:50-100 lbs. (Heavy) 0%Job requires worker to carry:25-50 lbs. (Medium) 0%
Primary Location: Rosemont-IL
Schedule: Full-time Shift: Day Job
Job Function: Office/Clerical
Job Level: Individual Contributor